Best of the Web: The Traveling Teacher
Periodically we compile a list of the best of what the Internet has to offer to teachers—be that in the classroom or just in daily life. The current edition, “Teacher Traveling,” highlights websites that focus on summer travel opportunities, general travel opportunities, and exchange programs for teachers.
If you would like to suggest a topic for a future edition, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Traveling Teacher
- American Councils for International Exchange
- Fully funded by the US Department of State, the American Councils for International Exchange offers a mix of abroad programs. Available for teachers are the Intensive Summer Language Institutes, Summer Russian Language Teachers Program and Teachers to Teachers: Language, Technology, Math and Science Exchange.
- Fulbright Teacher Exchange
- The biggest and most recognized teacher exchange program for US teachers allows teachers to earn their normal salary while swapping places with an international teacher for a semester or a school year. Be sure to also check out the “Other Opportunity” section of the website, which lists alternate international programs for teachers.
- Fund for Teachers
- Fund for Teachers provides grants directly to teachers, supporting their professional learning. Their experiences come in many forms, and share the purpose of enhanced teaching skills.
- Grants for French Teachers to Study in Paris
- Every year in July, the French Government, through its Embassy in the U.S., offers grants to primary and secondary school French teachers who would like to improve their language skills and enhance their knowledge of French culture by studying in Paris.
- Office of the Embassy of Spain: Summer Courses for Spanish Teachers
- Sponsored by the Education Office of the Embassy of Spain in the United States and Canada, teachers can spend the summer studying Spanish at universities across Spain.
- Refresher in Paris
- French teachers are invited to improve their language skills with this refresher course in Paris.
- Toyota International Teaching Program
- Each year Toyota and the Institute of International Education organize professional development trips for teachers. Previous destinations have included Japan, the Galapagos Islands, and Costa Rica.
- Workshops in Cuernavaca, Mexico
- Recommended by the American Association of Teachers of Spanish and Portuguese and the American Council for the Teaching of Foreign Languages, these classes are open to teachers with a variety of professional backgrounds. Offerings include advanced sessions for current Spanish teachers, transition sessions for teachers of other languages who are now being asked to teach Spanish, and sessions for non-speakers who want to learn the language and/or want to improve their understanding of the Hispanic cultures.
- Iowa Teachers in Taiwan
- Minnesota Chinese Exchange
- Indiana Teacher Exchange
- Washington Teacher Exchange
Finally, there are also a number of programs between states and foreign countries for direct teacher exchange. Examples include: